Thursday, June 7, 2012

Screening for mental illness? Yes, there's an app for that

By Michelle Healy, USA TODAY

There are numbers to track cholesterol and numbers to assess blood pressure, body temperature and weight. But can a number give an accurate read on your mental health?

The medical team behind a screening tool called Whats MyM3 says it can — and it can tell if you're at increased risk for depression, anxiety disorder, bipolar disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
WhatsMyM3 (originally My Mood Monitor) can help adults, whether in treatment or not, "monitor their own symptoms and have a view of what's going on" in terms of mood and anxiety, says psychiatrist Steven Daviss of M3 Information, Bethesda, Md. Daviss is chairman of psychiatry at Baltimore Washington Medical Center.
WhatsMyM3 is available as a mobile app ($2.99 for iPhone, iPad and Android), or free on the Web (WhatsMyM3.com). M3Clinician is a version for physicians. The company has no financial or other relationship with the pharmaceutical industry, says president Michael Byer.
To read more, click here

1 comment:

  1. I took the test and wow did it open my eyes a lot, I pretty much knew where I was at, but this really helped me even more so, I also have the app on my phone now as well so I can monitor myself that much more.....
    it is hard to get real help, good therapists are hard, being they are so very expensive, and medical only goes so far, so one cannot afford the good therapists, and have a partner who does not understand depression at all either, they think its their fault when told it is not their fault, they become very frustrated and mad....

    ReplyDelete